Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Santa's Trousers, Pattern and Instructions

This Santa is created with STAEDTLER Fimo and Puppen Fimo and is featured in this winter's PolymerCafe Magazine. 
As promised in the issue, here are the instructions a pattern for his trousers. His jacket, cloak and cap will follow with full tutorials of their own.

I'll help you through pattern drafting process as well as fitting the wee clothes to your doll.


Please use the comments section at the bottom of each clothing post to ask questions. I'll be on daily to help you all through the process. 


I laid Santa on a piece of brown pattern paper and drew around one leg with a pencil. I made sure to give a good 1/4 inch extra on each side of the leg to make sure the trousers are going to be roomy enough. I added an extra 1/4 inch to the top edge and the bottom cuff to make room for Santa to bend. 

I marked the crotch and increased the inside leg measurement 1/2 inch more at the top of the seam as shown and connected the line from the waist to the crotch with a sloping curve. Give the whole pattern a 1/8th inch seam allowance and cut the pattern out. 

I cut out two of these leg shapes from velvet, on the fold (the outside edge of the pattern is on the fold). I opened the leg shapes and matched up the crotch curves with the right sides together and pinned as shown. I sewed the pinned curve seams with matching thread using a 1/8th inch seam allowance.


Next I matched the seams of the crotch curves and pinned the inner leg seams, right sides together. I sewed this seam allowing a 1/8th inch seam .


I cut a 1 inch wide strip of velvet and folded it in half lengthwise with wrong sides together, to go around Santa's waist. I gave it a 1/4 inch overlap. 


I laid the new waistband flat and folded it width wise right sides together and sewed the short edges together with a 1/8th inch seam allowance.


I refolded the waistband wrong sides together and matched the raw edges with the top of the trousers on the right side of the trouser fabric. I took tucks in the trouser top to match the new waistband. I kept to tucks in the front of the trousers and kept them even to both sides of the front seam. I stitched the waistband in using a 1/8th inch seam allowance.


I cut a 1.5 inch wide strip of white micro fur and made a cuff for each leg using the same method as I did when I made the waistband. Make sure that if your boots are already glued to your doll these cuffs will fit over the boots.


I attached the cuffs using white thread.


Put Santa's trousers on! 
You can make them secure by taking little stitches through the trouser tops into Santa's shirt. 


I've included a scan of the original pattern I made for my Santa. Please use it as a guide for your pattern drafting. 

Don't forget I'm here to help!
If you have any questions or are experiencing any difficulty with the Santa making, please do write and ask for help. 
I'll be on daily and I totally have your back on this!
:D

No comments: