Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Plain Gel Nails

I've posted on my techniques for acrylic nail building but haven't done much show and tell with the gels. I thought I'd share how I do my basic gel application using tips.
Hope this answers some of your questions.



This is what I start with. Clean, trimmed nails that have been slightly scuffed. 
It's not pretty folks.



Here is my bruised thumb. I got it stuck in the automatic doors at work last month. There hasn't been any damage or de-formalities on the nail. Just the underneath bruise.



I fit all the tips to my nails and lay them out on a clean surface in order of appearance.



I base coated my nails with some bonder and stuck them in the UV light to set for about two minutes. I used Beauty Secrets quick dry nail glue to glue these guys on.



I used a large nail trimmer (disinfected) to trim away any nail length I wasn't going to use.



I filed the surface of the tip and blended it to my natural nail. I used a medium grit file and was very careful not to file into my natural nail. 



I applied a very thin coat of clear builder gel to each nail and cured it in the UV light for two minutes.



I blobbed some translucent pink gel onto my nail beds extending them a bit to add length. 



I cured this in the UV light for two minutes.



I evened everything out by adding clear builder gel to the tips of my nails and up and over the pink nail bed area. I built up the middle of the nail to give them strength. Everything went in the UV light for 4 minutes to cure for the last time.



With the medium file I sanded the nails into shape and made the surface smooth. I went over all the nails again with a sponge buffer to smooth them out even more.



I got rid of the dust with a nail brush and gave each nail a coat of clear polish. I added some glitter and another two coats of top coat.



Here is the hurt thumb. Almost can't even tell it was hurt. I'll keep a close eye on this guy though. I don't like to cover damaged nail beds. It's asking for trouble. I made sure the nail was in good condition before I covered it. I kept the coating transparent so I could watch what was going on under there. Opaque coatings on a hurt nail would make ideal breading ground for bacteria and fungus. Yuck........



I'll have to sit still long enough for Maggs to decorate these.
Wonder what she'll do to me?

No comments: